Strausak History

A century of innovation

1920s

The first years
In 1923, two young engineers, Josef Strausak and Wilhelm Arber, establish the partnership that will one day become Strausak. Operating out of a small workshop on Josef Strausak’s farm, the company originally specialises in producing creating equipments parts for the local watch industry.

1923

Strausak+Arber Maschinen-Fabric is founded in Lohn

1927

Development of its first proprietary machine, for gear-cutting

1930s

Innovation & expansion
Increasing demand from the watch industry pushes Strausak to innovate, with the company releasing multiple proprietary machines over the decade. This technological edge allows Strausak to expand internationally, with the first international orders coming in 1932.

1932

Strausak launches its first grinding machine

1932

First international customers

1940s

Overcoming turmoil
While war and chaos engulf the rest of Europe, Strausak benefits from the relative strength and stability of the Swiss market, continuously expanding over the decade. Following the passing of both company founders, the company modernises its structure, anticipating the challenges of a rapidly changing world.

1943

The company name is changed to Strausak & Cie

1946

Major extension of the production facilities

1948

Death of company founder Josef Strausak

1950s

Diversifying the business
Facing a decrease in demand from the watch sector, the company expands into instrument-making with new, more adaptive machines, and even ventures into fruit packaging.

1951

Launch of the Type 119 double roller burnishing machine. Over 3000 units sold over 46 years.

1952

New extension of the production facilities

1955

New packaging machine for the fruit and vegetable industry

1960s

Technological & Commercial breakthroughs
The company diversification strategy pays off, with rapid growth forcing the company to expand its manufacturing plant several times over the decade. Demand is global, with Strausak being one of the first companies to export to the People’s Republic of China  in 1969.

1962

Launch of the Type 30 series hobbing machines. Over 2600 units sold over 35 years.

1969

First machines exported to the PRC

1969

Launch of a postcard vending machine

1970s

Foray into tool-making
As the quartz revolution continues to affect the watch industry, Strausak continues to diversify, launching its first automated machines and acquiring the licensing rights for a universal and tool grinding machine, a precursor of the machines it produces today.

1971

Development of the first numerical controlled machine

1972

Introduction of the first tool grinding machine

1973

The company celebrates its 50th anniversary

1975

STRAUSAK set up new representative offices worldwide

1978

Delivery of 16 units of ceramic grinding machines to IBM

1980s

Digitalization and Automation
The launch of several CNC machines during the decade marks a turning point for Strausak. New levels were attained in precision,  versatility, and ease of use,  enabling the company to attract new, larger customers like Krupp or Philips.

1980

Launch of the Type 81 CNC Ceramic Grinding Machine

1987

First NUM unit installed on a Strausak machine

1990s

A specialist in tool-making
Following the sale of its watch division, Strausak was able to focus exclusively on developing modern tool-making machines. This helped the company weather a weak economy and multiple restructuring efforts.

1990

Launch of the Type 91 CNC machine, or Fleximat, compatible with both IBM and NUM software

1996

Strausak sells its watch division

1999

The company is sold to PRO KMU, an investment firm

2000s

Saved by its customers
Following a failed takeover by an investment firm, the company is rescued by a descendant of the founder. Thanks to the support of loyal Strausak customers, maintenance and repair operations on old equipment help finance the development of a new generation of machines.

2002

Erwin Strausak rescues Strausak from bankruptcy

2010s

A new beginning/era Geared for growth
The acquisition of Strausak by ROLLOMATIC, a world leader in industrial machines, sets the company on a sustainable path for growth. New machines and a strong culture of service help the company reconquer past customers, and aim for new global opportunities.

2011

Strausak AG is bought by ROLLOMATIC

2013

Launch of the U-grind machine

2015

The new W-dress machine is awarded a Reddot Design Award

2016

Integration of Stäubli robot

2020s

Always Adapting

2021

The new STRAUSAK ONE set a new reference in the tool production industry

North America
Strausak Inc.

1295 Armour Blvd.
Mundelein, IL 60060
USA

Asia
Strausak Ltd.

No. 12-3, Zhuangqian Rd.,
Shengang Dist.,
Taichung City 42951
Taiwan